Friday, August 25, 2006

Lovely Margaux & Grenoblegraffiti

Fun Stuff:

Grenoble, France is an interesting city. The size, population, and I suppose the location of the city make it a bit special. On a normal day when I am out and about, it seems a densely populated young and vibrant city. Then, when the average Friday night rolls around it becomes apparent how small the city really is. There is not much going on “after hours”. With that said, the says and pace are just right for me. I love the markets, the lazey Sundays (because there is nothing open), and the view is straight out of a postcard... We do, however, have a nicely tucked away, I might even say hidden, bit of graffiti.

There is an area along the river, the Isere, that has a half-mile-long wall of graffiti. I saw it the first time I went running there. Thanks to my friend Steve for suggesting the run.

I wonder if this is a designated legal zone for painting, because I have seen artisits down there at mid day with out a care in the world. I was running at the time, or I would have stopped to ask.

I hope to show a few pictures of the art from time to time, and I will start with the ones below. The majority of the art is writing, something like what you can see in the first picture. As you might expect, some is good or even great, and some is not so good. I will show some of the pieces that I find interesting.





Wine Stuff:

I really do love Margaux. There are many vineyards and wine makers in the appellation, but it is definitely my favorite in Bordeaux, and probably my favorite appellation in France for red wine. In fact, Margaux makes red wine wlmost exclusively.

I am drinking a 2001 Chateau Paveil de Luze Margaux right now. Though this is not a fine example of the appellation, it is not bad for 5 euros.

Most of Bordeaux makes wine from the same grapes, and Margaux is no exception. They use cabernet sauvignon, merlot, cabernet franc, and maybe some petit verdot. These are pretty much the same as the Semillion I talked about earlier, but Margaux produces a very different wine.



I love Margaux because of the soft, intricate, and seamlessly blended flavors as well as the full and round texture of the wines. The thing that makes Margaux preferable among all the Bordeaux wines is the subtle and intricate mingling of flavors and aromas.

I think I have probably mumbled on enough about my love of these wines, but , let me say a couple parting words.
-Doesn't go with spicy food
-Good with or without food
-Expect to pay for a good one (don't skimp, treat yourself)
-Yummy yummy yummy.

happy drinking,
-PMo

No comments: