Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Wine Work and the Wine we Work for

Fun Stuff:

Today is a first because the “Fun” stuff is the same as the “Wine” stuff. For those who do not know it already, I do not want to be an engineer forever. My dream is to open a wine bar some day. Well, I finally started doing something related. I got a part-time job at one of the best New York wineries. The vineyard/winery is called Millbrook. It is the oldest in the Hudson valley producing vinifera varietals (European grapes).



I should learn a lot from this job, and the income, poetically, will go straight to the purchase of wine. I have only worked one day, but I learned a lot from the winery’s 23-year-old assistant wine maker. Nick is a CIA grad who knows about and loves wine. I am envious.



Wine Stuff:

So far, probably because it is summer, my favorite Millbrook wines are the Tocai Friuliano and the Proprietors Special Reserve Chardonnay. This Tocai, which has nothing to do with the Tokay d’Alsace (pinot grigio), is the most widely planted grape in the Friuli region of Italy. It is a great summer sipper, but it is also surprisingly versatile with food. It is not a sweet wine, but so fruity, that most confuse it for sweet. I know it is not sweet because it has less that 1% residual sugar after fermentation ;)

The PSR Chard has already become a staple at our house. It underwent barrel fermentation in 80% French oak and 20% American oak. The fruit was picked nicely ripe and is well balanced by the heavily-French oak aging/fermenting. I lean a bit French when it comes to oak, so this is right up my alley. I don’t know how easy this stuff is to find outside of NY, but I recommend it.



happy drinking,
-PMo

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well done. I started to go down this path while in France but never ended up having a free weekend around harvest time before I left to actually get started. Let me know if you head up to my old stomping ground (Finger Lakes), I can give you some recommendations of wineries to visit. -Alex-