Sunday, June 17, 2007

Local Crazies and Old Yellow Wine

Fun Stuff:

We have been getting to know our neighbors a bit lately. Like us, they like to sit on the porch and watch life go by while drinking a beverage.

They told us about the local "crazy" people. We use the term loosely here, as none of us have had a doctor examine the people in question. We have young crazy guy who carries a portable stereo and sings (to everyone presumably), crazy older guy who looks kinda like a mountain man or maybe he just has not seen a razor in ten years, crazy talking to herself lady who will surprise you during a run, and I am sure there are others we do not know about. That will change with time.

Gertie, by the way, tried to chase crazy older guy and one of the local villagers. Crazy older guy turned to face her, and she freaked out, while the local villager ran down the street with his young son freaking out. I pursued yelling "SHE IS NOT GROWLING, SHE IS JUST TRYING TO BREATHE!".

Wine Stuff:

Before I get into the wine I drank today, I want to introduce a wine that might not be very familiar to many. I have to talk about it because I recently learned how it is made, and the process stands out in a crowd.

There is a wine in France, from the Jura appellation, call Vin Jaune. The name translates to yellow wine, and it is typically made from the Savagnin grape. In recent years Jura has been producing Chardonnays made in similar fashion, but the Savagnin is somehow special.

In a nutshell:
  • The grapes are picked when very ripe (as late as November)

  • Fermentation is done in old oak casks and it take 6 YEARS and 3 MONTHS

  • The wine undergoes slow fermentation wihtout topping off the cask

  • Because the cask is not topped off, there is a large surface of yeast growth on the top of the wine protecting it from over-oxidation

  • The process and flavor resembles sherry fino, and the wine is bottled in .62 l bottles. This is because, it is said, that for one liter of grape juice, only .62 l remain at the end of the process

  • Vin Jaune, it is said, can be kept for 50 to 100 years (but not mine)

  • This stuff tastes so good
So, I first learned about Jura when I was in Germany. I learned of a dessert wine that is also very interesting, but a story for another day.

I have never found Jura wines here in the U.S., though I am sure they exist. Please try to find one, and let me know what you think. Also, tell me where I can get more. I have only one bottle left from 1996 gifted to me by, obviously, a good friend in France.

On to what I drank today
I had another nice summer wine today from the finger lakes here in New York. It was a Seyval Blanc from the Glenora vineyard. I have to thank my new wine fridge for having the bottle ready for me at the right temperature. The nose is big and interesting, full of honey and a little apple. I doubt, however, that these notes would be evident if the bottle had come out of our normal refrigerator or if we had chilled it on ice. I recommend drinking at around 48 degrees F. The palette was first tart, then sour apple, then the medium length finish was granny smith apple. The advertised notes of vanilla and spice were almost undetectable to me.



happy drinking,
-PMo

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Did I give that bottle of Vin Jaune? Man do I miss it, I haven't had a bottle of anything from Jura since I left France. AP