Thursday, May 11, 2006

Too Much Fun and Boring Wine

Fun Stuff:

Lately there has been nothing but FUN STUFF. I have had too much fun in fact. I am funned out. The date of departure is just around the corner. We, and all of our friends, are trying to cram in as much as we can before we leave. Truth be told, I am tired. I need a break. I think I am just going to leave the country.

Wine Stuff:

Too much wine to remember lately. Thanks to the, above-mentioned, too much fun, there has been no stopping the flow of wine. I can say, however, that I have not tasted anything too spectacular lately.

With that said I want to mention a phenomenon I have noticed. I don't have the wine importation facts to back this up, so it would be nice to know what other people think on the subject. I think that the wines we produce and import to the U.S. all taste the same.

Bold statement I know, but it is a bit of an exaggeration to make a point. In my travels I have tasted wine from all over the planet in many different locations. What I have noticed is that the wines in Europe, imported or local, have a broader range of flavor and character than those in the U.S. I think the U.S. follows more closely to taste trends, and like many markets, we tend to stay close to what sells best. In my opinion, that makes it hard to find "different" wine.

Just a Theory.

-PMo

No comments: